National Design Centre
The National Design Centre is the nexus for design. Designers, businesses, students and the public meet here to exchange ideas, use the amenities and attend design-focused exhibitions and programmes.
The National Design Centre’s vision is to become a world-class Design Centre and key Design Resource Hub that facilitates capability building, collaborations and marketing of designers and businesses.
Centrally located in Bras Basah.Bugis, Singapore’s arts, heritage and design precinct, it is also home to the DesignSingapore Council, the national agency for design.
The repurposed, award-winning conserved building is as much an emblem for outstanding Singaporean design and architecture, as it is a thriving venue for visitors to attend design-focused showcases and programmes. NDC adds to the pulse of the city’s district of arts, culture, design, heritage, learning and entertainment.
The building was previously home to the St Anthony’s Convent (1879-1994), Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (1995-2004) and Chinese Opera Institute (1995-2009). In 2011, a multi-disciplinary team led by SCDA Architects was appointed to develop and implement a design proposal for NDC.
Parking is available at the following car parks near the centre:
- Queen Street: Public and HDB car parks
- Middle Road: InterContinental Singapore Hotel and Bugis Junction car park
- Victoria Street: National Library Building and Bugis+ car park
Precautionary Measures when visiting NDC
Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures (VDS) (from 1 February 2022):
Visitors entering the NDC will have to be fully vaccinated as per prevailing VDS guidelines. Exemptions may be granted to:
- Individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 within 180 days (bring along your hardcopy Memo of COVID-19 Infection & Recovery issued by MOH)
- Medically ineligible for COVID-19 vaccination
- Children aged 12 years and below
- Wear your mask. Children 12 years and below who find it hard to wear masks, or persons with health conditions causing medical difficulties when masks are worn, may wear face shields instead.
- Keep your group size to no more than 10 people.
- Checking in via TraceTogether is compulsory and visitors are reminded to bring their tokens or keep their apps running throughout their visit.
- If you are feeling unwell or experiencing fever, please refrain from making a trip to NDC.
- Check-in to the National Design Centre must be done using TraceTogether, either via the app or the token. This also applies to any other specific units that you visit within the building.
- Please be informed that real-time building occupancy will be monitored to ensure that NDC is operating within permissible capacity.
- Check out using TraceTogether.
Monday – Sunday
9am to 9pm
111 Middle Road Singapore 188969
Guided tours are available through advanced and confirmed bookings. As part of the tour, you will:
1. Tour NDC
Uncover the history and heritage of the conserved building, what it stands for today, the community that lives here, and the various programmes that take place in the space.
2. Visit the Fifty Years of Singapore Design Exhibition
Witness how design has evolved from the 1960s and contributed to Singapore’s economy and development.
3. Walk through design event and exhibition showcases
Immerse yourself in the many design events and exhibitions presented throughout the year.
Write in to firstname.lastname@example.org today to book a tour. Tours are currently open to group bookings only.
Looking for space to host your event?
The National Design Centre has a wide variety of spaces to suit your needs.
Design Studios and Offices
P!D (Participate In Design)
P!D is a registered non-profit design, planning and educational organisation that helps neighbourhoods and public institutions in Singapore design community-owned spaces and solutions.