The DesignSingapore Scholarship is for students and industry professionals who intend to pursue full-time design studies. If you’re a student or industry professional passionate about design and want to develop or further your design career through education, the DesignSingapore Scholarship supports you.
The DesignSingapore Scholarship is for individuals with creativity, drive and passion for design. The scholarship will groom designers and non-designers to become design leaders who will use strategy and innovation to make things better by design. Our scholarship holders may come from different fields of design, but they share one common trait – they are game changers and aspire to contribute to Singapore, and the design sector. We are on the lookout for talented individuals (students, industry professionals or even non-designers with a strong desire to pursue a career in design) with creative flair, the drive to push boundaries, and a heart to serve Singapore.
- What fields of design can I apply for?
- Am I eligible?
- What does the scholarship offer?
- How will the scholarship benefit you?
- What is the bond upon graduation?
- What are the assessment criteria?
- What is the selection process? When will the results be announced?
- How do I apply for the scholarship?
- Meet our Dsg scholars
- Frequently Asked Questions
What fields of study can I apply for?
The programme should be a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate design-related course (i.e. Bachelors/Masters/PhD) at a reputable local or overseas institution. Examples of fields of study include:
- Design Research
- Design Strategy
- Fashion Design
- Industrial & Product Design
- Interaction Design
- Interior Design
- Landscape Design
- Service Design
- User Interface (UI) / User Experience (UX) Design
- Visual Communications
Other fields of study may be considered too.
Am I eligible?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Have completed National Service (for male applicants)
- Have successfully gained admission to a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate* design-related course in a reputable Singapore or overseas institution
*For applicants who are applying for postgraduate studies, a minimum of three years of professional working experience would be advantageous.
What does the scholarship offer?
- Full tuition fees
- Annual living allowance
- Pre-studies allowance
- Developmental course allowance
- Travel allowances
How will the scholarship benefit you?
The scholarship will develop you holistically in your design journey. Apart from supporting you in your studies, where you will develop your technical, creative and communications skills, you will be paired with a mentor from the DesignSingapore Associates Network (DAN) for the duration of your studies to help you push boundaries in your work.
You will be designated a DesignSingapore Associate once you have been awarded the scholarship. As a DesignSingapore Associate, you will be assigned to contribute to DesignSingapore Council (Dsg) projects and initiatives that will help you to gain new experiences, grow professionally and expand your portfolio.
During your study, you will also need to fulfil a compulsory four-week internship in Singapore. You can secure the internship yourself, or Dsg can facilitate introductions to companies we are in touch with.
What is the bond upon graduation?
Upon graduation, you will need to be employed in Singapore on a full-time basis in a design-related role with a Singapore-registered company.
- The bond period depends on the sponsorship duration of your course, as well as whether your course is based locally or overseas
- Close to graduation, we will help facilitate job introductions with companies we are in touch with or you can choose your preferred company in Singapore
|Scholarship Types||Duration of sponsorship||Bond period|
|Overseas scholarship||3 – 4 years||5 years|
|< 3 years||3 years|
|Local scholarship||3 – 4 years||3 years|
|< 3 years||2 years|
What are the assessment criteria?
Applicants will be assessed on:
- Potential to contribute to Singapore’s design sector
- Potential for creativity and leadership
- Achievements, recognition and experience in design and design thinking
- Quality of portfolio/project case studies (originality of concepts, depth of development and exploration of ideas, competency in execution, technical ability, and range of work and skills)
- Academic results and track record of co-curricular activities
- Articulation and persuasion skills
- Transdisciplinary design skills
What is the selection process? When will the results be announced?
Shortlisted applicants are required to attend up to two rounds of selection interviews in April and May, organised by the DesignSingapore Scholarship Secretariat. Successful applicants will be informed about the outcome after all the interviews have been completed. All scholarship recipients must attend a Scholarship Award Ceremony tentatively planned in July 2022.
We reserve the right not to disclose the reasons for approving or rejecting any application, and to reject any incomplete application.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Complete and submit your online application here.
Please upload the following softcopy documents with your online application:
- Portfolio/project case studies* in PDF format (file size less than 5MB)
- Academic results and awards
- Curriculum Vitae
- Record of Co-Curricular Activities
- Letter of admission to institution and course information of proposed course of study
- Letter of recommendation from two referees pertaining to the application of this scholarship (referees cannot be immediate relatives of the applicant)
*Applicants from non-design backgrounds and who do not have a design portfolio can submit project case studies. These case studies need to show examples of your design thinking process and outcomes.
To avoid missing documents, please name your documents (in pdf, jpeg or doc format), with file names as follows:
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Portfolio/Project Case Studies
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Academic Records and Transcripts
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Curriculum Vitae
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Record of Co-Curricular Activities
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Letter of Admission to Institution
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Information on the Proposed Course of Study
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Letter of Recommendation 1
- [Full name as shown in NRIC_Last four characters of NRIC number] Letter of Recommendation 2
List of Dsg Scholars
Dsg has been awarding the Dsg Scholarship since 2005. You may access the list of scholars to date, as well as read some of their stories here.