The DesignSingapore Council (Dsg) is proud to present the third Design Education Summit, returning on 9 November 2023 at The Star Performing Arts Centre. Curated by Hans Tan, this year’s theme ‘I am
NOT Creative’ challenges the presumption that design literacy is limited to designers.
This biennial Summit is a part of the Dsg’s Learning by Design initiative and is Singapore’s only summit that connects educators of all levels with innovators, designers, researchers, and digital experts to promote accessibility, inclusivity, and sustainability in and through design.
Using a playful exploration of design as a bridge to creativity, the Summit will challenge and inspire educators, school leaders, and parents alike to help shape the next generation of changemakers.
With innovative practices and provocative insights into teaching and learning, the Summit explores three questions:
- Is Design for everyone?
- Will Human Creativity Survive AI?
- Are my students Too Young to Make a Difference?
As we unearth the groundwork of Design in Education, expert speakers will offer practical tools and takeaways through experiential workshops with the following objectives:
- Showcase design education examples from local and international institutes.
- Champion thought leadership on the value of design and design education through examples and trends.
2. Share Experiences
- Learn through the exchange of ideas and experiences on design education and practice.
- Discuss the evolution of design skills and the need for educational institutions to respond and prepare the workforce for the future.
3. Build Competence and Networks
- Empower teachers with tools and resources to enhance classroom practice and fuel professional development.
- Co-create and nurture collaboration between educators and with industry professionals.
Hans Tan is a designer maker, curator, and associate professor at the National University of Singapore. He makes use of beauty and utility for visual discourse, tiptoeing on the boundaries of design, craft and art. Besides being a three-time winner of Design of the Year at the President’s Design Award, Hans was also honoured with the Designer of the Year at the President’s Design Award 2018, Singapore’s highest recognition for a designer, for his contributions to the design community through education. As an educator, Hans has received multiple teaching awards, most significantly the Outstanding Educator Award, NUS’ highest award for teaching.
The DesignSingapore Council’s (Dsg’s) vision is for Singapore to be an innovation driven economy and a loveable city by design. As the national agency that promotes design, our mission is to develop the design sector, help Singapore use design for innovation and growth, and make life better in this UNESCO Creative City of Design. Dsg is a subsidiary of the Singapore Economic Development Board.
Name: Ben Tan